September 26 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Level 3: History Painting
Registration for Autumn 2020 now closed
- This event has passed.
Tutor: Rachel Levitas
An introduction to History Painting
Suitable for those with some experience of painting to focus in-depth on a specialised area of artistic practice.
History painting is a genre in painting defined by its subject matter rather than artistic style, usually depicting a moment in a narrative story rather than a specific and static subject, as in a portrait. Artist Rachel Levitas leads this 10-week course set in two parts.
Part one: Learning from the Masters. Explore techniques such as underpainting and glazing and applications specific to History Painting with reference to French 19thC painter Eugene Delacroix's Liberty leading the People.
Part two: Research, design and paint an independent artwork using techniques particular to History painting such as model making. Consider and improvise around surfaces, tools and materials.
At the end of this 10-week course you will be able to:
- produce personalised independent artwork using specialised techniques
- develop contextual and historical understanding
- independently apply and combine a range of painting techniques
- develop understanding of elements of art e.g. line, tone, composition, colour
- set up and clean up correctly
- critically assess work made using correct technical terms
- Fee £360
- 26 September - 5 December 2020
- 10 x 2 hours online classes each Saturday from 10am - 12pm (UK time)
- 9 x 10 minute personalised tutorial sessions in between classes
- Registration closes 20 September 2020
As part of course fee receive £140 value art materials including:
- 9 x Winsor & Newton Winton Oil colour tubes
- Winsor & Newton Sceptre Gold and Azanta Brushes