Acrylic painting for beginners with Charlie Hawksfield
What you will get from taking this online course:
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of acrylic painting such as form, shadow and composition
- Confidence when selecting a colour scheme
- Knowledge of key artists in the fields of colour, still life and figuration
- An understanding of how to critically engage with different genres of painting, such as still life and portraiture
- An abstract piece of work created by the student and small studies of their own design
- Elephant Academy Technique Takeaway: Understand how to use colour theory
This course will be held on Wednesday 30 March, and 6 and 13 April, 2022. Classes will take place from 7.00pm to 9pm (BST) and aresuitable for beginners. Students outside the UK are welcome.
Under the guidance of artist Charlie Hawksfield, this three-week course will provide students with an exploration of the various techniques of acrylic painting. Focusing first on an introduction to colour, in each class students will learn the relationship between colour and the acrylic medium. Students will apply their colour theory skills to still life and figurative subjects, to create original acrylic artworks.
In the first class, students will discuss the history of colour theory. Charlie will raise a few key texts for the students to explore further and show images of colourful paintings by key artists such as Josef Albers. Students will use masking tape and acrylic paint to do some colour experiments and create their own abstract, block-pattern painting. In the second class, students will learn about form and the basics of building a picture. Charlie will provide an overview of artists who have used inanimate objects to create dramatic paintings. Using acrylic paint, students will create a still life painting using a range of formal acrylic techniques. The third class will focus on the popularity of figuration in contemporary acrylic painting. Students will discuss why acrylic painting has become so commercial in the art world and apply this knowledge to their own figurative acrylic painting.
This online Zoom workshop is taught by Charlie Hawksfield @charliehawksfield
Material bundle includes:
- Elephant Essential Acrylic Artist Paint Set, 21ml tubes set of 20
- Liquitex Basics Acrylic Mediums Set – 5x75ml
- Lefranc Bourgeois Acrylic Paper Pad 300gsm A4
- Winsor and Newton Foundation Brush set short handle – 6-pack
Additional materials you will need:
- A board to lean on
- Masking tape